This is a very special recipe, given to me by a friend and work colleague. The recipe was written by her mother who sadly isn’t with us anymore. I cannot tell you how good these are, they really are the perfect pancake!! The best part is that they require half a pint of buttermilk and as you can only buy buttermilk in pints you feel duty bound to make another batch the following day.
- 8oz plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 3oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pint buttermilk
- Sieve dry ingredients together
- Add the eggs, milk and syrup, whisking until you get a thick, smooth batter
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture on to a hot, greased griddle/frying pan
- Cook over a medium, steady heat. Flip pancakes when the bubbles begin to burst
- Cook pancakes until golden on both sides and store in a clean tea towel to prevent them becoming crisp and dry.
Serve staked with fresh mixed berry compote or Sprotts streaky bacon and maple syrup.